[ExI] Bosch exits Solar business in Germany

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Mar 28 15:40:06 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 09:19:19AM -0400, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> This said, the discussion is so badly off track it isn't even funny.
> "100 megamonkeys"? "Massive die-off"?

Do you have fundamental problems with the last graph
on http://cassandralegacy.blogspot.it/2013/02/the-twilight-of-petroleum.html
?

If yes, which assumptions do you find questionable?

And http://www.energywatchgroup.org/fileadmin/global/pdf/EWG-update2013_long_18_03_2013.pdf
?

Don't ask me how the net energy graph of coal looks
like, I have no idea. I hope it decays slower.

> Reading The Oil Drum seems to warp reality testing.

Do you see 1 TW/year world wide coming online for
the next 40 years anywhere?

According to Kurzwel, we'll be 100% solar in
16 years. Because, exponential.

http://bigthink.com/think-tank/ray-kurzweil-solar-will-power-the-world-in-16-years

That was 2011. Does
http://www.nature.com/news/7-tw-jpg-7.9461?article=1.12582
look exponential to you? 2013 won't be much
better, if at all.

Look at the so-called poster child of renewable:
http://www.bmwi.de/BMWi/Redaktion/PDF/E/energiestatistiken-energiegewinnung-energieverbrauch,property=pdf,bereich=bmwi2012,sprache=de,rwb=true.pdf

Only 11.7% renewable, and 7.1% of that is biomass?
Half of that not even native biomass? Really? Not to forget
that anything energy-intensive has been outsourced,
so even that is cheating.

Look, I'm no enjoying any of this in the slightest.
I need good news. Can you give me any?