[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Thu May 2 05:54:01 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM, Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG at verizon.net> wrote:

> Kelly Anderson wrote:
>

>> Because I change every day. That would just be one more such change. If I
>> learn Chinese, do I stop being myself?
>>
>> -Kelly
>>

> Don't try to confuse the issue. We are not talking about learning X, with
> it's attendant synaptic changes, we are talking about making arbitrary
> changes to a mindfile while simultaneously claiming that the integrity of
> the mindfile is the basis of identity.

Sorry, wasn't trying to confuse the issue, but rather clarify my personal
goals in uploading. If I am muddling with some special definition of
something or other I apologize, that was not my intent. This is only about
what I want out of the experience.

My goals for uploading are,
1) Losing the downsides of having a body without sacrificing any of the
upsides. That is, I want to be able to inhabit any body shape/size that
fits my purposes today, without pain, illness, aging and the like. I still
want to have pleasure such as orgasms.
2) To be able to make multiple copies of "me", have them participate in
parallel experiences, then remerge those experiences into the main thread.
That is, I want to remember thousands of "yesterdays" (as many as I can
afford to compute) every new morning.
3) learning and remembering more and better than I can with my current
brain.
4) thinking faster, not just in parallel, but faster in serial as well.
5) experiencing true virtual reality as a virtual tenant (not just
embodied, but also disembodied experience.)
6) being comfortable enough about my conscious experience to argue with
others that I am still conscious in a convincing fashion.
7) Interacting more naturally with digital computers, and at a much higher
rate.
8) Probably a bunch of other things, if I thought about it longer.

I'm hopeful that computational bandwidth availability is a meritocracy, not
a rich win everything. For example, I would love to be able to hire my
brain out as a companion robot driver, so that many people could enjoy my
company, and if they enjoyed it enough, I would be rented again as a friend.

-Kelly