[ExI] Digital Consciousness

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat May 4 13:00:15 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 7:05 AM, Gordon <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> It was just a fad, in my opinion. Brains are not like digital computers.
> Brains are biological organs, not fundamentally different from livers or
> kidneys.

Ok.  Does a cardboard oil filter in your car do the same job as
kidneys do for your body?  Does activated charcoal do the same job in
your water filter?  Obviously a kidney can't be replaced by a
cardboard filter or a lump of charcoal.  I feel like your recent shift
to "if we ever have thinking machines, they'll be more like brains
than computers" is admitting that there might be non-brain thinking
machines but you've _defined_ computers as non-thinking machines.

Perhaps that definition isn't disagreeable as your original premise
that _only_ natural brains will ever produce consciousness.