[ExI] [Exl] Digital Consciousness

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun May 5 00:53:06 UTC 2013

Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

### Let me ask you this:

> Blind persons with cortical vision implants claim to see things..
<snip>

> Would you perhaps claim that the seat of qualia is the cortex, not the
> primitive subcortical nuclei substituted by digital signal processing?

That seems reasonable to me. Some neuroscientists are working on identifying the neural correlates of consciousness (NCC) and I believe they involve a large swath of neurons in the cortex.

> But, what if in a few years some researchers produce implants capable
> of correcting cortical blindness, caused by damage to the occipital
> cortex?

Digital implants can certainly stimulate the experience of qualia in the NCC, but so too can electrical shocks or any other external stimulus. I do not believe such implants can themselves have or embody conscious experience of qualia.

Gordon