[ExI] Redness comes from Context? Was Re: Digital Consciousness

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Sun May 5 02:46:39 UTC 2013

Hi Ben,

I apologize for being like Sheldon, and so sarcastically challenged with
this.  But thanks for clearing this up, so I can understand what you
were saying.  And I also now understand what you meant by which cog
knows what time it is.

In my opinion, you are using a mistaken analogy with the cog knows what
time it is, at least as far as understanding one possible theory, and
it's predictions.  But let me come back to that latter.  First  I think
I have a realization that has significantly helped me to understand how
You, James, Mike Perry, and so many others think.  So let me see if I
can describe this, and hopefully you guys can let me know if I have it
about right, from your POV yet, or not.

Make Perry (I CC:ed him to pull him into this conversation) indicated
qualities have a "context".  In other words, he indicate a set of bits
fully describing the brain, while it was experiencing 'redness' was
written down in a book, from our perspective, reading the static book,
would not have a redness quality.  But, from the perspective of the
world described, in the book, or from this different 'context', it would
have a redness quality.

Also, James has described what I came to think of as a "Functionally
Active Pattern", which has a redness quality.  I at least got him to
admit that an abstracted single binary bit, representing a "1", could
fully represent a redness quality, but not without knowing how to map
the "1", back to the "Functionally Active Pattern" that did have the
redness quality.  In other words, he agreed that there was no redness
quality to the abstracted data.

But in this conversation, in my opinion, he backtracked on this idea
when I hand held everyone through what MPD is predicting will happen
when you attempt transmigration.  From what I understood, he was saying
that an abstracted one could have a redness quality to it, from the
context, which seems to me to be the same thing Mike Perry is saying.
In other words, it seems to me that you guys all think that a redness
quality is all about context.  If something, no matter what it is, is in
the right context, it then has, or at least a redness quality will
emerge from it.

Stathis, I haven't seen you say anything that leads me to think you
think this way, but do you?  Would you think that any old abstracted
"1", no matter what media was representing it, in the right context, a
redness quality could emerge?

So, if I have all that right, let me walk through a certain perception
scenario, and tell me if I'm still on the right track. Let's say we want
to perceive 2 'red' objects.  A strawberry, and a pool ball, painted
with lead based 'red' paint.  Now, for experimental purposes, we can't
see the light reflected off these guys, directly.  We have to camera/TV
systems that invert red and green signals.  The first one, can see the
two object, and produces "green objects" on it's screen, converting the
650 NM light int 700 NM light.  Then a second system can 'see' this
inverted image on that first screen, and re invert the red green signal,
producing a properly colored image of a strawberry, and a pool ball,
reflecting 650 or red light.  It is our eyes that see this second
correctly colored screen.  Resulting in our brain producing something
with a redness quality, as it's knowledge of the two 'red' items - the
final result of the entire perception process.

So, it seems to me that, from the 'context', both the strawberry, and
the pool ball are 'red'.  Also the 650NM light reflecting off both of
them also, from the context, is 'red'.  And also, the inverted green or
700NM light, after the first inverter, because of the context, is also
now 'red', and the same is true for every representation all the way to
the final knowledge of such, produced in our brain.

So, finally, do you guys see the terrible mistake I think you guys are
making by thinking qualia can 'arise' from anything, as long as it has
the right 'context'?  Other than the final result of the perception
process, the only thing that really has any redness quality, is our
knowledge.  And all of the other red and green light, only is 'red'
because we think of them as having such a quality.  Obviously, the red
light, the green light, nor does anything else have a redness quality to it.

In other words, you guys are just trying to hide where you think the
redness is located, in some complex hard to think about place that
doesn't really have it.

Now, back to what Ben was talking about.  It seems to me that Ben is
pulling a similar trick, claiming qualitative properties come from
complexities.  But if this is the case, then you should be able to tell
me the nature of these complexities, and what or how is it that a simple
elemental redness quality can come from such. And if you did see such,
in someone's brain, how would you know that it had an elemental redness
quality, and not an elemental greenness quality, and so on.

Ben, I think you were right when you started saying we need more
clarification on the type of 'quale' we are talking about.  I am
certainly failing to comunicate what I mean by the word, so from know on
I'm going to use the term 'elemental quale'.  Because most people, when
they experience 'redness' bind a huge amount of memories, emotions, us
perceiving it, and other stuff in with 'redness'.  And I agree with your
assertion about what this kind of combined with everything else quale
is.  But this isn't what I'm talking about, when I talk about an
'elemental quale'.  I'm predicting there are elemental qualities, like
redness, that our brain can use to bind or 'paint' 'complex qualeties'
that we experience.  These elemental qualities are what I'm talking
about.  And there must be something that has these elemental qualities,
whether there is any context or not.  And that it is these real
qualities, when we can then use to think about lots of things, in our
eyes, and causally upstream from there, as having the same quality, due
to it's context.

So, did I get what you guys are thinking right?  Or am I still missing
something?  James, do you are any of you still think that something can
have a redness quality, or a redness quality can 'arise' from something,
no matter what it is, if it has the correct 'context'?

Brent Allsop