[ExI] Digital Consciousness

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Sun May 5 16:16:11 UTC 2013

Hi Ben,

I predict that within the next 25 years the following will be discovered
and demonstrated, via science to all of us.

They will demonstrate that something in my right hemisphere is reliably
responsible for my redness experience, which I represent strawberries
with, and also something responsible for my greenness experience, which
enables me to qualitatively distinguish my knowledge of the leaves from
the strawberries with.  And they will discover that the same will be
true for my other hemisphere.  They will discover what this binding
system is, and how it works, which will explain why I am able to know,
absolutely, more than I know anything, what my redness and greenness
/feel/ like, in both hemispheres, and that they are qualitatively and
reliably correlated with the same underlying physics.

I predict that Ben is a my redness zombie, and has never experienced my
redness before.  They will achieve the ability to duplicate this binding
process which the corpus callosum does between my hemispheres, between
Ben's and my brains, so that Ben will be able to experience, for the
first time, what my redness is like - just as reliably as my two
hemesphers knows that each have the same redness.  This will reliably
prove to him, and to me, that everything he was saying about
consciousness, was completely true, that Ben does not have a redness
quality to his knowledge, but that this is only true for his brain.  And
he he'll be saying something like: "Oh my God, I have never experienced
anything like that in my life!  Now I am no longer a Brent's redness
zombie!"

So, those are all very falsifiable predictions, which could prove me
wrong if they do not come to pass, as predicted.  So, Ben, can you make
an equally compelling prediction, which if demonstrated by science, will
force me to admit that my current working hypotheses about consciousness
are falsified, the way this will surely force you into my camp?

Non of this is theological or philosophical.  It is all theoretical
science, making very real predictions about reality and the kinds of
experiments that need to be done to force us all into the same camp.
And soon, depending on the quality and progress of our theoretical work,
science will force us all, evidently some of us naively kicking and
screening, into accepting the one true theory that science will prove
effingly works.  The goal with Canonizer.com, is to rigorously measure
this, as what could arguably become the greatest discover in physics -
ever: The discovery of the reliable relationship between ineffable
qualitative properties or /feelings/, and their underlying physics.

I believe we are already way beyond the neural scientific understanding
required to achieve such a demonstrable science, the only remaining
problem standing in our way, is an effing communication problem.  We
simply need to find some way to comunicate to everyone that there is
something we (or at least some of us) know absolutely to be important,
which we should be looking for: Qualitative properties, or what things
/feel/ like. We need to know where to look for these: Not on the surface
of the strawberry, not in the light, the retina... and not thinking that
when we see something like glutamate reflecting 'white' light, that it
has a whiteness quality to it, or worse, that there can't be any
qualitative properties correlated to it's causality, at all.  And
finally, how do we demonstrably, reliably, and objectively detect and
share these things: By simply getting around the quale interpretation
problem, by correctly grounding the qualitative meaning in the
abstracted information our detectors are detecting, and thereby finally
effing the ineffable.

Brent Allsop