[ExI] Whatever happened to peak oil by 2020?

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Tue May 7 21:48:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, 7 May 2013, spike wrote:

[...]
> >...http://www.meteoblue.com/en_GB/weather/map/wind/europe
>
> >...I liked your map but mine draws vector field :-) Regards, Tomasz Rola
>
> Cool thanks Tomasz.  I want one of those vector maps for the states.  {8-]

Ugh. But you know you can choose other part of the world by clicking on
it, top of the page? :-P

> Question please, for Europe hipsters.  Do you guys have some big open
> areas where there just isn't much of anything, analogous to the US
> desert southwest, somewhere in Europe?  If not, how about buying up some
> land in the Sahara and using that abundant solar and wind power down
> there?  That land would hafta be cheaper than sand down there, a few
> Euros per hectare, ja?  I know Asia has big stretches of nothing in some
> places.

In Europe... I think the weather is going to change quite a bit. In
Poland, we had few, maybe ten tornadoes during previous century. This
gradually increased, nowadays I expect about ten-twenty every year. You
know, those vast flat areas, they act like magnets for tornadoes. Few days
ago, surprise surprise, tornado in Italy. WTF?! I guess this will call for
very sturdy installations of everything, and maybe some design changes to
shut down turbine/solpanel when situation gets scary. Fortunately, we
still make houses of (reinforced) concrete and bricks, not gypsum and
gypsum. So a roof may fly away but at least walls and floor will stay.

As of Sahara, I guess there's a lot of movement there. Just not the kind
that creates good climate for building anything. Myself, I would rather
not spend a dime there as long as situation is not clear (perhaps it is
clear but I'm just not sure at the moment).

Regards,
Tomasz Rola