[ExI] Whatever happened to peak oil by 2020?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat May 11 15:37:32 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 02:00:26PM +0200, Tomaz Kristan wrote:
> > so everything needs to be driven from renewable only
>
> There is nothing like renewable. If you are talking about the Sun (wind),

Renewable on a scale distinctly shorter than well-fermented dead dinos.

> there is no greater energy spending around, than this of our star. Like

4 MT/s total flux, 2 kg/s (2 Hz of Tsar bombas) just what Earth intecepts.
A factor of 10^4 in excess of our current needs.

> every star it burning mostly in vain.
>
> (Putting down star fires is a must.)
>
> A postmodernist friend said to me the other day. Can you imagine the energy
> inefficiency going with the BMW for a bucket of parsley to the supermarket?

Nevermind that in the US, you're putting 10 buckets of dead dino for
each bucket of parsley, without even having fired up your BMW.

> I told him, that in the whole energy chain needed  for this parsley, the
> Mother Nature did it at least 1000 times worse than this BMW driver to the
> mole and back.

Even today's biofuels have an abysmal photosynthetic energy efficiency.