[ExI] Coal Gasification and CO2 (was Re: Whatever happened to peak oil by 2020?)

spike spike at rainier66.com
Sat May 11 22:36:13 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:40 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: [ExI] Coal Gasification and CO2 (was Re: Whatever happened to peak
oil by 2020?)

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

Wind power is capricious, and it is noisy and ugly.  Solution: put the wind
turbines out in Wyoming where there is not much of anything but coal, lots
of coal.  Build factories that convert coal to liquid fuels powered by wind.

 I don't know where you stand on the whole CO2 global warming thing Spike,
but you might be interested in knowing that one of the largest single points
of human CO2 production in the world is the Sasol coal gasification plant in
South Africa.

http://www.sasol.com/sasol_internet/downloads/CTL_Brochure_1125921891488.pdf

. -Kelly

Ja, what I meant was use wind and ground based solar as an energy input to
convert coal to Diesel and octane.  The plant you cite burns coal to make
the power to convert coal to liquids.  This is a huge waste of coal.  When
you have solar and wind power available, use that power to drive the coal
conversion.