[ExI] Coal Gasification and CO2 (was Re: Whatever happened to peak oil by 2020?)

spike spike at rainier66.com
Sun May 12 02:51:45 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:51 PM
To: 'ExI chat list'
Subject: Re: [ExI] Coal Gasification and CO2 (was Re: Whatever happened to
peak oil by 2020?)

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike
.

>>.Kelly, the easy way to do this kind of analysis is to look at the energy
content of 96 grams of carbon (from coal) vs 116 grams of octane, which is
how much octane could theoretically be synthesized with the 96 grams of
carbon.spike

>.Doh!  I meant 114 grams of octane of course, not 116.  Damn, how
embarraskin'.   {8-[  spike

Wait, perhaps I can salvage a shred of dignity, by noting that a couple of
deuteriums snuck in there and caused the octane to come up to 116, or one of
those sneaky carbon 14s that give the creationists such headaches.  Are
deuteriums in the plural  called deuteria?

Kelly when you are doing energy balances, be sure to account for your 162
grams of water you will need to crack to get the hydrogen.

Better yet, just get actual data from that South African conversion plant.
They might publish the energy input requirements and the liquid fuel output
for their operation.  That will give you the process losses.  Recall that
when you have a big plant running these reactions, you have big hot tanks of
this and that, intermediate processes, big hot machines everywhere, waste
stacks burning off low grade gas etc.  All that heat is loss that must be
made up from the input.  So actual data is very helpful.

Kelly perhaps your brother knows where to get this kind of data?