[ExI] Bitcoins Again

James Clement clementlawyer at gmail.com
Tue May 14 15:39:36 UTC 2013

Kelly Anderson wrote:

I've been trying to do an estimate of what I might expect to make if I
bought a bitcoin miner from Butterfly Labs, and I thought I'd share my
calculations in case any of you found it interesting (and to double
check my math... LOL)

Here is a live stream of an inexpensive Butterfly ASIC in operation:
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/05/butterfly_live/
Pooled, it is mining about 2 BTC per 10 days. That is a fantastic ROI at
current prices, but I suspect you cannot buy one anytime soon at the
list price. As I understand it, it is backlogged into the thousands.
There is no telling what the economics will look like by the time your
order is filled, if it is ever filled.

As the advice "in a gold rush, sell the shovels," goes, it sounds like the
way to make money here is to quickly create a new device, like Butterfly
Labs bitcoin miner, which will anticipate the processing needs six to 12
months from now, put it up on Indiegogo or Kickstarter, and try to keep up
with your sales!

James