[ExI] Bitcoins Again

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed May 15 10:36:51 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 03:11:16AM -0700, Gordon wrote:
> Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:
>

> >Il 15/05/2013 10:23, Gordon ha scritto:
>
> >> This is not good. I'm guessing the investigation pertains to someone
> >> using Dwolla and Bitcoin for illicit purposes. Details are not clear.
>
> >Anyway, I do not believe the Chinese user are shacking in their boots.
> >Or the Argentinians.
>
> That is certainly true. But if the US Department of Homeland Security

Not my department, says Wernher von Braun.

> is cracking down on Bitcoin in general then that spells trouble.

They can as well try cracking down on TCP/IP. Just because you
nuke the big exchanges doesn't mean mining or direct transfers
are affected.

> I hope and assume that this is only a special case involving illegal activity, perhaps trafficking in guns or drugs.

What does 'illegal' mean, please? Almost all things are
illegal, somewhen and somewhere. The Internet is a global
network, it can't cater to the lowest denomitator, orelse
we just could as well shut the whole thing down and go
back to Morse code or smoke signals.

> I funded my Mt. Gox account via Dwolla. For all I know, I'm now on some list at DHS.

Everybody is on some list, somewhere. If you think you're aren't,
you haven't done your due diligence.