[ExI] Kripke is in trouble!

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri May 17 18:21:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> "LTE not available everywhere"
> Does anyone else have a problem with this caveat of cell phone marketing?
>
> LTE (not available) everywhere:  forget it pal, there is no place in
> the universe your phone gets LTE.
> LTE not (available everywhere):  there exists some places where LTE is
> not available.
>
> Does my sentence-parse difficulty come from the expectation that NOT
> should immediately precede the condition it negates?
> Is it even a valid sentence to say: "LTE available not everywhere" ?

I doubt if there is a general problem. I understood it fine.

In the context of LTE being a coast-to-coast system, as with all
mobile phones, there are bound to be places where no signal is
available.

Think of 'available everywhere' as a compound noun. Then LTE is either
'available everywhere' or NOT 'available everywhere'.

BillK