[ExI] bees again

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue May 21 22:28:43 UTC 2013

I'm all in favour of luminescent mood lightening. Worked on Pandora.

But there is a practical problem with trees: they are so slow to
install. Outside my window I have a smallish tree that is ~30 years old.
Along my street many of the big trees are at least 60 years old or more.
So replacing the street-lights would take many decades. Maybe we should
go for bioluminescent ivy or wines.

Crime prevention: light doesn't really deter crimes, human visibility
does. Being alone on a well-lit street with empty offices is no real
comfort. But people tend to feel better about well-lit areas, so from a
comfort standpoint it matters. This is also why person-sensitive lamps
don't really help: you do not see where you are going, and this is
unsettling.

It is worth remembering that many people need light when walking at
night (or morning/afternoon in the case of Sweden). I am sure that to an
American it sounds downright strange that a sizeable fraction of people
here get to their jobs/homes by walking, including many with rather bad
eyesight. Or, as the case might be, drunk.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute