[ExI] D-Wave's Quantum Computer

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu May 23 20:19:55 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com>wrote:

> So the answer to my original question appears to be that you can use it
> for general purpose computing,

In theory you could construct a general purpose quantum computer by having
a bunch of entangled quantum logic gates, but that approach is very hard to
do and so far it's only been done for a few qbits, and the biggest problem
it has solved is finding out that the factors of 15 are 3 and 5. The D-wave
computer is not a general purpose computer and D-wave never claimed it was,
but if it can solve QUBO problems dramatically faster than conventional
computers as they say then that will change the world because protein
folding is a QUBO problem and solving that would not only revolutionize
medicine but also be a huge stepping stone toward full scale Drexler style
Nanotechnology. On the other hand D-wave could turn out to be another cold
fusion type fiasco, we should know the truth in a year or less.

  John K Clark