[ExI] chinese synthesis

spike spike at rainier66.com
Sat May 25 03:56:54 UTC 2013

A local Mandarin speaker made a comment yesterday that really got the wheels
spinning.  The topic was the tonal aspect of Chinese languages.  She
commented that the tonal aspects to pronunciation makes Chinese easier to
understand in some ways than English, because the pitch and transition
conveys meaning about the word, helping differentiate it from other similar
sounding words.  Then a thought occurred to me.  We can do real-time Fourier
analyses, so a computer hearing Chinese speech could pick up the tonal
inflection perhaps better than the untrained western ear.  For that reason,
I can imagine Chinese speech recognition and synthesis might in some ways be
easier than English.

Do we have any Chinese speech recognition hipsters who could comment?

There is a reason why I am asking: I want to teach my son a language, but I
think Mandarin would require too much time and effort investment when it is
easy to imagine in ten years a computer could do it better than humans can
anyway.