[ExI] Cold fusion paper

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat May 25 16:38:35 UTC 2013

On 25/05/2013 16:24, Mirco Romanato wrote:
> If I talked you about rounds of zinc copper and paper soacked with brine
> in the 1800 and told you it could change the alignment of a compass you
> would had called me nut.

Then you would have demonstrated it, right? And given Spike a simple
diagram of how to put the setup together so he could independently
replicate it.

This is why the magnetic induction unit is named after Ørsted. And not
after Romagnosi.

One can certainly demonstrate effects that are outside the predictions
of all existing theory, just think of Michelson and Morley, or Becquerel
and the image of the key on the photographic plate. But in order to
convince people that you have some actual discovery you need to describe
what you have done so others can replicate it. (Even Romagnosi did give
a decent account of his experiment, he just published it in an obscure
newspaper.)

Rossi's problem is that he is not describing what he is doing. So smart
people have no real reason to think he actually has discovered anything
- especially in the light of a long tradition of demonstrated frauds who
behave almost exactly like he does. Even his past disaster in making oil
from garbage followed almost exactly the same lines - and that was based
on a real chemical possibility.

> I'm pretty convinced that, if we were in the XIX century, we would had
> some e-cat around to play now. But the current environment is
> different. Rossi can not sell me an e-cat, even if I'm willing to risk
> to use a prototype. The first cars were too insecure for modern
> standard. Wall Mart, or Home Depot will not sell anything without
> security certification and a lot of cover from lawsuits.

If demonstrating safety was the only problem he would have no trouble at
all. Just build a lot of e-cat and test them in different conditions
(including actually checking for radioactivity - if cold fusion actually
turns out to be real it might be an environmental disaster to have a lot
of little reactors making isotopes).

No, what is holding him back is that he cannot get money from sensible
investors since they will demand to look inside the box and their
contracts will be hard to get away from if he is a fraud. So he has to
deal with the investor undergrowth. In the XIX century he would probably
have found more people buying into it, and I expect he would have
absconded much earlier.

>  Elforsk has allocated around 230,000 euros each year, for the next
> three years for further investigations according to ECW.
> http://www.e-catworld.com/2013/05/swedish-rd-company-elforsk-ab-comments-positively-on-e-cat-report/

No, they budgeted 23,000 Euro according to that page. Which is peanuts.
Their total research budget is around 28 million euros, and their
corporate remit (they are owned by various Swedish energy companies) is
to fund and research various projects linked to energy. They are not for
profit and can easily afford looking at weird longshots, especially if
there is a local champion who pushes for it (and apparently the research
was only partially funded by them). Their comments are also rather
sceptical, essentially boiling down to that exactly what is going on
cannot be determined until they are allowed to look inside. They did
their testing, that's it.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute