[ExI] Gold

Alan Grimes ALONZOTG at verizon.net
Sun May 26 03:30:09 UTC 2013

Mike Dougherty wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG at verizon.net> wrote:
>> Eugen Leitl wrote:
>>
>> > There won't be any space settlers. All the settling and processing
>> > will be done by solid state.

>> I find that statement profoundly offensive. It implies that some agency will
>> exterminate all other forms of life and modes of existence. If you don't see
>> what I'm getting at, swap out "solid state" with "the Aryan race".

> You are just looking for that old ax to grind.

Nope, this is serious. =|

> The point is that monkeys are harder to ship to the asteroids and to
> other planets than "solid state"
 > It would be the same kind of obvious to say "farming of the seas will
be done by fish"

Are you familiar with quantification theory and categorical reasoning?

To say, as he just did, that "ALL" the settling and processing will be
done with programs running on 6502 chips, is equivalent to say that NO
settling will be done by things that AREN't 6502 chips. Furthermore, it
is perfectly clear that the future of life on Earth will someday end,
then everyone who is not doing settling will die. Therefore, because I'm
not an upload, and because I will not, as he says, be doing settling,
then I will die. I do not want to die, therefore he's a dick.

The bottom line is that I need a transhumanist community that is just as
enthusiastic about solving the problem of how to put a million tons of
iron and equipment in a warp bubble as it is about encasing Sol in a
Dyson shell.  =|

Sometimes I wish I was capable of his level of cold disdain, but I'm
not. I'm enthusiastic about the future. I wish people were actually
sincere about morphological freedom and didn't put up with shit like this.

--
NOTICE: NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS, SEE ABOVE

Powers are not rights.