[ExI] Awesome disaster

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Nov 3 22:03:54 UTC 2013

Subject: [ExI] Awesome disaster

>...I only recently became aware of this, some you might have known about it
for years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Sayano%E2%80%93Shushenskaya_power_station
_accident#!

They didn't talk about it much at the time.  I have some power plant buddies
from college who sent around text accounts and a few photos.  The Russians
didn't even let out any news of it for several weeks after the fact.
Commies are that way you know, secretive, even when we don't hold any really
serious hard feelings over the whole cold war thing.

>...Wow.  A 900 ton spinning generator rotor flying out of the floor.

Keith

Oooh boy, that musta really been something to see.  From a very safe
distance of course.  They didn't want to admit that most of the eighty
11.5cm bolts holding the rotor cover were fatigue cracked from vibration.
The rotor's design life was 30 yrs.  At the time of the accident it was 29
yrs 10 months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Sayano%E2%80%93Shushenskaya_power_station_
accident