[ExI] "Is it time for a transhumanist Olympics?"

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 06:12:45 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately, it is difficult to portray base drama and get average
>> viewers to relate, when the subject matter is far beyond what most viewers
>> think they might personally experience
>
> If so, how do you explain the tremendous popularity of superhero movies? Or
> science fiction? Or all the dramatic fiction involving things far beyond
> what most viewers expect to experiences personally?

### Reportedly, Freestyle chess is quite unpopular with human
audiences, even though the games played are the highest quality chess
ever, distinctly superhuman. At the same time, old style chess played
by humans, at a much lower absolute level of competence, still
attracts a fair amount of interest.

I never watch sports, and I find it difficult to relate to those who
do but it looks like for many paying viewers participation may be
driven by a need for affiliation, rather than interest in what
actually is going on. No-holds barred enhanced sport would have to
cater to this need if it is to attract an audience and advertiser
support.

My intuition is that it could, as long as the enhancement part was
narrated as a struggle, similar to training. In this story, the
sportsman, one of us, through perseverance and skill, with the help of
trainers, surgeons, pharmacists and genetic engineers, reaches new
heights of power, and steamrolls the opposition - maybe it could sell.
But then, my intuition in these human affiliative matters is rather
tenuous, so YMMV.

Rafal