[ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Nov 7 07:06:53 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: [ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> >... that occasionally some detectible signal would leak past the Great Filter.

### Paradoxically, these extremely large numbers make me much more sanguine about the Great Filter in our future...

Me too, in a way.  We think of the Great Filter notion as something that always slays tech-enabled societies, but there is another way: a Great Filter could be something positive.  If for instance, we figure out how to upload, it is easy enough to imagine that the only compelling task remaining for that species is to gather all the locally available metals and convert it all to computronium.  There is no point in sending out signals to another star, for a post computronium planetary system has nothing to gain by signaling others in the galaxy.

>...Can anybody give plausible candidates for the actual physical implementation of this extremely high efficiency Great Filter?  Rafal

Rafal, every scenario I can think of points to an MBrain, yet we see no evidence anywhere that those exist.

For any intelligent tech-enabled species, thinking and inventing are fun.  So eventually they invent thinking machines.  That leads to the desire to convert all available metals to thinking matter.  So why don't we see MBrains everywhere?

I am still thinking, and still no closer to a solution.