[ExI] What happens when Bitcoin goes to a million bucks?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Nov 7 09:56:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 11:10:15PM -0700, Max More wrote:
> Brent: You say that "Everyone should have at least one Bitcoin". I don't
> pretend to have a good understanding of bitcoins, despite having read
> (lightly) many posts here and some articles (such as the helpful one by
> Keegan Macintosh in the November issue of *Cryonics*), but I do have the
> strong feeling that I really ought to have a few of these peculiar things.
> However, my impression is that it's now too late -- that you can only
> generate new bitcoins if you have some fairly serious computing power.

The most cost-effective way to get Bitcoins is to purchase them.
The mining was only very profitable in the early beginnings.

> Is this right? If so, are there any reasonably non-speculative ways to
> acquire bitcoins?
>
> My question is not just from a personal perspective. Several people would
> like to pay for their some part of their cryopreservation (or gift Alcor)
> using Bitcoins, so I would like to understand the situation better.

I'm not sure Bitcoins are a good store of value. They will be either worth
a lot or nothing at all. As such you should probalby figure out which
fraction to cash out and which to retain, speculating on future rise of
value.