[ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Nov 8 18:33:41 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2013 8:37 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

deluged.  If you go that route, it is easy to picture ice caps, so the sea
creatures could have access to the atmosphere, and if the ice goes down to
bedrock, it would be theoretically possible for lifeforms to dig thru the
ice and reach the rock, so that metals could be brought to the surface.  Of
course actual dry land is a good thing for growing smarts.

Why is dry land [inherently] better for smarts than ocean?

To be tech enabled, you definitely need to get dry somehow.  You can
concentrate elements, do jillions of experiments that can never be done
without dryness.  Kelly's notion of hands I am still pondering, but I was
thinking of how limited is the range of experiments without dry land of some
sort, and the materials limitations.

There are smart beasts in the sea.  But the smartest ones we know of
apparently evolved brains on land, then went back to the sea.

Check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPge_0lea3o