[ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 21:11:12 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 11:46 PM, Andrew Mckee <andymck35 at gmail.com> wrote:

> For instance, if (yes, big IF I know) the EU crowd are right and electric
> plasma fusion of the elements is occurring in the suns photosphere,

That seems pretty unlikely, the suns photosphere is icy cold, about 6000K,
and as for the sun's corona the density is too low and the temperature is
only about 2 million degrees Kelvin, far too low for significant fusion to
occur. Fusion is really hard to do, even the center of the sun is lousy at
it, per pound the sun produces less power than the human body does, and it
will take 10 billion years to fuse 90% of the hydrogen in the sun. In fact
we know of only two things in the entire universe that are really really
good at fusion, supernovas and H-bombs.

> and thanks to sunspots and solar flares, is being regularly flung
> outwards into electrically confined plasma streams where they can mix and
> mingle and fuse into simple organic molecules, before being deposited onto
> the surfaces of earth like planets by the cubic boatload. Then surely that
> would be a major game changer to the balance of probabilities of life self
> assembling from a thick, frequently mutating bio-molecular soup.

That's not the problem, the problem is that the gap between simple organic
molecules and the simplest one celled organism known is astronomical. And
it is entirely possible that the word " astronomical" is far too weak a
word to describe that gap, if so then you need to look no further to
explain why the universe doesn't look like it's been engineered.

  John K Clark