[ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Nov 8 23:07:43 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-08 15:17, spike wrote:
> Reason: of all those Goldilocks planets, I have having a far easier
> time imagining a Goldie completely covered in ocean, probably deep.
> That shouldn't be so hard for us to imagine: this planet is almost
> deluged.

In fact, the models of waterworld exoplanets I have found in the
astronomical literature have *really* deep oceans. Earth is mildly odd
in that it has just so much water it would cover the entire surface to a
few kilometres: most of these have hundreds of kilometres of water.

That means a few interesting things. The ocean floor will be covered by
a mantle of high-pressure ice, likely with veins of mineral erupted from
the rocky core (a planet has volume ~R^3 and area ~R^2, so the heat flux
grows as ~R - big worlds will tend to be much more volcanic and
plate-tectonic than Earth). The latest results on metallic ices suggest
that they will not occur, since they require 5 TPa, and that moves us
into gas giant territory - but non-metallic warm ice is still odd. The
atmosphere may have plenty of water vapour as a greenhouse gas. The
surface temperature distribution depends on the rotation rate; if it is
fast winds will be more zonal and the poles will be cooler (possibly
with ice), while a slower rotation produces an even temperature. If it
is warm enough you can get some amazing hurricanes or hypercanes. Most
of the ocean will be totally dark, heated only by a geothermal gradient
or volcano-induced currents - surface heating only penetrates down to a
thermocline a few hundred meters down, and the lack of undersea
mountains reduces mixing.

(See Charles Stross' "Neptunes' brood" for a fictional world that gets
close to this - although he admitted he choose some parameters for
simplicity, and I have my doubts about his awesome blue smokers.)

I don't know if general technology could emerge here. Sure, it looks
near-impossible to build a lab underwater. But that might just be our
limited imagination. Many compounds are volatile in air and dissolve,
yet we have found ways of managing them. It might be that a waterworlder
would have an equally hard time imaging how a dry lab could work.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute