[ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 14:12:25 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Kelly Anderson  wrote:
> And yet mars currently lacks a molten core. It also lacks the magnetosphere
> that would protect martians from radiation. Would mars count as one of the
> planets counted by NASA in this survey?

I think there is still debate about Mars.

<http://www.astrobio.net/pressrelease/395/martian-liquid-center>
Quote:
Researchers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.,
analyzing three years of radio tracking data from the Mars Global
Surveyor spacecraft, concluded that Mars has not cooled to a
completely solid iron core, rather its interior is made up of either a
completely liquid iron core or a liquid outer core with a solid inner
core. Their results are published in the March 7, 2003 online issue of
the journal Science.
-------

<http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/ucla-scientist-discovers-plate-237303.aspx>
Quote:
UCLA scientist discovers plate tectonics on Mars       August 09, 2012
For years, many scientists had thought that plate tectonics existed
nowhere in our solar system but on Earth. Now, a UCLA scientist has
discovered that the geological phenomenon, which involves the movement
of huge crustal plates beneath a planet's surface, also exists on
Mars.