[ExI] kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Nov 11 11:42:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:07:09AM +1300, Andrew Mckee wrote:

> Merely speculating that two different sun models might have very
> different emission profiles, assuming of course anything essential
> for life does or can escape the suns gravity well.

When cooking dogs, do not exceed the recommended cooking time
for canines.

> >If there were a billion or even a million year old technological
> >civilization in the galaxy that had not descended into navel gazing and
> >lotus eating I don't think you'd need a star-ship to find it because it
> >would be immediately obvious to anyone who looked at the night sky.
>
> Maybe.
>
> But do all technology trees necessarily result in civilizations
> broadcasting their existence out to the universe?

Yes. Because the laws of thermdynamics are not optional.

And they're not civilizations. They're diverse postecosystems.
There is a very large difference between these two.

> What about species evolved to be extremely fearful of doing anything
> that might call attention to themselves?

Out of a trillion species one or two will actually do that, and
never matter. All the other ones go forth and multiply.

> What if broadcasting your existence is really stupid because some

Breathing is really stupid. Ever tried not to?

> stealthy Borg like race like nothing more than assimilating tech

You only need atoms and Joules.

> capable civilizations, blink at your telescope and you miss their
> rise and downfall.

You might miss one or two FIR blacbodies. But not whole superclusters
of them. You will only miss them if you're dead.