[ExI] stuxnet hits commie nuke plant, space station

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Nov 12 21:35:36 UTC 2013

On 12/11/2013 21:01, spike wrote:
> Local internet security hipsters, does this sound believable to you?  That
> nuke plant strains my imagination, but the Space Station?  Every line of
> code to any spacecraft is reviewed and tested.

Code tested, yes, but what about hardware? SCADA systems are in a lot of
places and have fundamental vulnerabilities. And the station is sending
and receiving data at least indirectly to the internet. One USB key or
malicious tweet link clicked, and a virus could get in.

Also, Nasa no doubt looks carefully at code for reliability. That is not
the same thing as security. Consider the vulnerabilities found in
pacemakers and other implants - medical-grade software, but no firewall.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute