[ExI] stuxnet hits commie nuke plant, space station

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Nov 12 22:32:15 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of BillK
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:06 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] stuxnet hits commie nuke plant, space station

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM, spike  wrote:
>>... Local internet security hipsters, does this sound believable to you?

>...Kaspersky was misquoted.

>...He said that Russian astronauts had several times infected the ISS with
viruses from USB memory sticks and he knew of a  Russian nuclear power
station that Stuxnet had infected via a USB stick...BillK

Oh OK cool thanks BillK, that sounds way more believable.  Even then, it
would only apply to the laptop computers on the space station, which really
are not part of the space station.  They made it sound like the control
software was at risk.  The space station control software is not on a
network that could be spread in this way.  There isn't a lot of free memory
in any case, and those computers do not use USB ports.

I can see where they could get infected by viruses that may interfere with
what is likely the most common computer usages in space: solitaire, chess,
Minecraft and email.