[ExI] Millions of Lines of Code

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Thu Nov 14 13:30:52 UTC 2013

Il 14/11/2013 14:16, Omar Rahman ha scritto:

According to this, the number of lines of code required to fix
>> healthcare.gov is roughly the size of a modern web browser, firefox
>> or chrome...
>>
>> The kicker is at the bottom of the page. Unreal.

> There is no doubt that the website is a bloated piece of $#!+. The
> only question for me is how they achieved such epic levels of bloat
> and craptasticness.  The suspected size of the code base displayed on
> the site you gave puts this thing in a league of it's own. But
> seriously, how did they manage to make it so big?

> Thousands of plans x thousands of insurers x 50 state versions x
> thousands of procedures might do it but that's data and not code. Are
> they counting the data set as part of the code base? I honestly have
> a hard time imagining how they achieved such bloat. I guess it's a
> failure of my imagination because somehow they seem to have done it.

They probably tried to code the law(s), with all it loopholes,
exceptions, and so on.

It is not the code of healthcare.gov that is bloated beyond belief, it
is the laws and regulations that are bloated way inside the twilight zone.

Mirco