[ExI] Dark Matter

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Nov 14 20:09:38 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 09:45:37AM -0800, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 6:58 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>
> > Next step is to price out 16 thousand square kilometers of PV panels, or
> > 16 billion square meters.  Any gurus among us?

It's not a good idea to use PV (~20% efficiency) to drive
a synfuel plant (low efficiency) to refuel vehicles.
PV to EV efficiency is quantitative, and automatically
deployed trolleys (plus autonomous driving) will
even let you forego large batteries, or run your
plug-in hybrid in trolleybus mode during cruise.

Not an option for planes or ships, obviously. Though for
planes wireless delivery is an option. Synthetic chemical
industry and fertilizer are also not wireless.

So if you're beyond 100% peak by wind or sun, make
hydrogen and/or methane and/or ammonia.