[ExI] Single-hand touch typing in Ender's Game

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Nov 15 16:45:07 UTC 2013

2013/11/15 Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:56:57AM -0500, Odell Huff wrote:

> Dear Cave Shadows--I'm a twenty-year lurker on this list and this is my
> first post, or question rather. In the (enthralling!) movie, Ender types

Two-decade lurker, that's got to be a new record.

> complete-sentence emails with one hand on a touch screen. Does this
> technology actually exist, or could it? I was thinking I would very much
> like to take notes mobilely, on say an iPhone, the writing equivalent to a
> micro recorder. It seems to me the tech would be easy, the hard part might
> be having to learn to type like a court reporter...

You mean a chorded keyboard on a multitouch device?

http://labs.teague.com/2012/02/08/doug-engelbarts-chorded-keyboard-as-a-mult
i-touch-interface/

Some of you guys might have been around in the early to mid 90s when we had
a wearable computer group; Eugen I vaguely recall seeing you there but I
might be mistaken.  I was a lurker on ExI in those days, but the wearables
group almost predated ExI-chat.

We had a vision going back to about 1989 when I saw a demonstration of a
head-up display at a trade show.  It wasn't good resolution, but it was good
enough for grainy graphics and 640x480 resolution text, which was common in
those primitive savage days.  The data egg or one-handed keyboard was big
then.  We debated if that would be the way, or speech recognition.

>.Dear Cave Shadows--I'm a twenty-year lurker on this list.

In retrospect, it is interesting that the bulk of this discussion on data
eggs vs speech rec happened twenty years ago, but it wasn't really here, it
was on another group.  I think ExI-chat took it up mostly in the later 90s.