[ExI] The Communication Singularity (was Re: What happens when Bitcoin goes to a million bucks?)

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 21:03:39 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:17:54PM +0100, Mirco Romanato wrote:
>
> > The Singularity will bring, for sure, enhanced ways to cooperate and
>
> The Singularity, for sure, is defined as a prediction horizon.
> So trying to predict that is, by definition, is impossible.

Predicting up to the Singularity is, however, possible.

One of the exponential curves that I feel (though I don't think it can be
measured precisely) is the increase in speed and frequency of interpersonal
communications. If you think about runners progressing to post men, to
telegraphy, to telephony, to the Internet, to Text messaging and twitter,
you see a progression in frequency and speed of delivery of messages
between individuals. I believe this is one of those Singularity curve
thingys.

Now, that being said, what does being near the Singularity mean for this
particular curve? One thing that it certainly means in order to continue is
that you will have to communicate nearly continuously, and eventually with
more than one person at a time. To achieve this level of communications, it
will be necessary to either be uploaded, or have an avatar that answers
many of your communications on your behalf. In twenty years, it could be
that this mailing list will be entirely filled with communications between
our individual avatars. They will then summarize the results of the
communication back to our "main brain". This will be part of what I call
the Multi Threaded Life.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But I do believe that autonomous communications on
our behalf is just a couple of decades around the corner.

-Kelly