[ExI] Double-Earth (Was: kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets)

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 00:42:24 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> Weather is partially driven by buoyancy. On wet Double-Earth this is
> weaker: clouds will be taller and move more ponderously, while on dry
> Double-Earth the higher gravity will make small density differences
> generate more force: flatter, more intense convection. The strength of
> hurricanes depends on the temperature difference between the ocean and the
> stratosphere; I do not know how to calculate this, but I note that in the
> absence of land they can run much longer before drifting too far towards
> the poles that they dissipate.

Without land masses, and the water currents they create, I suspect that on
any water world you would get a permanent hurricane analogous to Jupiter's
red spot.

It is interesting to note that the hot spot under Hawaii is at the exact
same location as the red spot on Jupiter and it is just as stable. I think
there may be physics happening here.

-Kelly