[ExI] What happens when Bitcoin goes to a million bucks?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 19:01:13 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 2:54 AM, Eugenio Martínez <rolandodegilead at gmail.com
> wrote:

> "Once the principle is admitted that it is duty of government
>> to protect the individual against his own foolishness, no serious
>> objections can be advanced against further encroachments."
>> Human Action, pp. 728–29, p. 733
>>

> Oh, no no no no. Not against his own foolishness, but against other people
> foolishness. Now I am suffering banks and Lehman Brothers lack of ethics
> and I am unemployed for first time on my life.

What about cases that cross the line?  For instance, some people who worked
for Lehman Brothers are now out of work due to this same thing.  Would
protecting them against their own foolishness be okay, if it would also
protect you against their foolishness?  (Note that they would ignore that
it's about protecting others - but really, most "protect from themselves"
arguments can be cast as protecting others.  If nothing else, letting you
take yourself out of the labor force means you're not doing stuff to
support the rest of us.)

Simpler examples can be seen in public health - e.g., disallowing people
from becoming another Typhoid Mary.  (She did not want to be protected from
herself, and insisted she was not carrying disease even though she provably
was.  She very strongly resisted the notion that she either give up her
career as a cook or at least take measures such as washing her hands before
cooking.)