[ExI] The post-antibiotic era

rex rex at nosyntax.net
Thu Nov 21 02:04:49 UTC 2013

BillK <pharos at gmail.com> [2013-11-20 15:06]:

>People will always consider personal risks to be far more important
>than vague large-scale threats.
>Especially when they can see a simple, specific cure for the problem -
>New antibiotics.

Antibiotics inevitably eventually fail due to a combination of one
species of bacteria developing resistance and horizontal gene
transfer between species of bacteria.

There are better approaches on the horizon.

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/tech-two-new-techniques-to-fight-bacteria-without-antibiotics-101813

>The cure for large scale threats is neither obvious or
>straightforward, so let's solve the easier, more pressing problems
>first.

Easier? And, a reduction in the frequency of deaths due to antibiotic
resistance necessarily increases the frequency of deaths due to other
things. For example, a reduction in death rate due to cardiovascular
disease necessarily increases the death rate due to cancer, because we
all eventually die of _something_.

-rex
--
There are two kinds of geniuses: the "ordinary" and the "magicians."
An ordinary genius is a fellow whom you and I would be just as good