[ExI] Double-Earth (Was: kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets)

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 17:19:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> > Water is perhaps the most abundant one, but one should not rule out
>
> Water is not particularly abundant, but it has certainly very
> interesting properties, which, if taken together, make it unique.

I tend to agree with Eugen on this one. As far as I'm aware, water is the
only liquid that becomes less dense upon freezing. Otherwise, the oceans
would fill up with ice from the bottom up. Ices are clearly not as good for
life as liquid.

If ammonia or another liquid does the same thing, I'm unaware of that.

-Kelly