[ExI] What happens when Bitcoin goes to a million bucks?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 19:48:56 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM, Kelly Anderson  wrote:
> I didn't say that I don't want to develop it. I have simply come to terms
> with the fact that it seems likely to lead to widespread human depopulation,
> if not outright extinction. I think it possible that unenhanced humans will
> become one more in a list of endangered species brought about by the further
> technological progress of the planet. Personally, I'm now more or less ok
> with that. What is important to me is the progress of human-like or
> human-inspired thought. Not necessarily the progress of humans in their
> current physical state.
>
> The question, almost by definition, is not what we can do with it, but
> rather what it will do with us. Is this not as obvious as the sun in the
> sky?
>
> As the machine learns to entertain us by giving us diverting tasks to
> accomplish, we will become its servant to a greater and greater extent until
> it learns to do all the things we now do for it. Once that becomes the case,
> then what need more does it have of us?

Depends which comes first. Your scenario is that AI comes first and takes over.

But if uploading comes first we will copy ourselves into virtual
reality and the question becomes what will our intelligences do,
operating many many times faster than us?

Just have fun?

<http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3183#comic>

BillK