[ExI] Double-Earth (Was: kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets)

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Nov 25 15:23:28 UTC 2013

>. On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg

>.There are other expanding liquids like beryllium difluoride, but most are
elements like silicon, bismuth, antimony, gallium and plutonium.

Ja.  I can't think of any life forms that depend on that oddball
characteristic of water ice.  Perhaps the remarkable thing here is that with
all the ice on this planet, there are no known (to me) life forms that use
it in its solid phase.  One would think there would be a snow eater
somewhere.  Clearly it wouldn't be to extract energy from the water (ground
state compound) but rather some kind of life form that can plant itself in
snow and use sunlight.

>. Even I agree that a planet with plutonium oceans is unlikely to be
habitable for life. -- Dr Anders Sandberg

I learned a new thing by thinking about this.  There is an isotope of
plutonium which is non-fissile, 244.  Get a sphere of the stuff, heat it to
900 and some Kelvin, you have an ocean of plutonium, with radioactive
particles up the kazoo but no fission.  Until Anders' offhanded comment
about an ocean of plutonium, I never knew there was such a critter.  Ain't
science kewallll?  {8-]