[ExI] ...or else... was: RE: What happens when Bitcoin goes to a million bucks?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 23:57:12 UTC 2013

On 26 November 2013 04:32, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> I personally know a doctor who went to med school in Tehran
> right out of high school, got her MD at age 23, did a residency, practiced
> medicine for several years in Iran, fled the country 8 yrs ago, and has been
> struggling ever since just to get a residency in the USA, anywhere.
> Somewhere we need to have states which actively recruit foreign doctors who
> were trained in similar circumstances.  They would be lower cost.  We could
> take pharmacists and others that way too.
>
> Nursing can be taken as a college major, right out of high school.  Why not
> medical school?  Why not pharmacy?  Wouldn't that increase the pool of
> doctors, and drive down the cost?

Why would that drive down costs? In Australia and most Commonwealth
countries the traditional medical degree is a 6 year undergraduate
course with a 1 year internship, 7 years in total. At some
universities that has recently been changed to a 3 year premed degree
and a 3 + 1 year postgraduate medical degree. The reason given for the
change is that students will go into the medical degree more mature
and more certain that it is the career for them than if they had to
decide as 17 or 18 year olds. But the course is basically the same and
costs the same.

--
Stathis Papaioannou