[ExI] New Wave Energy wants to put power plants in the sky

rex rex at nosyntax.net
Tue Nov 26 10:52:56 UTC 2013

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> [2013-11-26 01:10]:

>http://www.gizmag.com/new-wave-energy-creates-aerial-power-plants/29849/
>
>New Wave Energy wants to put power plants in the sky
>
>By Lakshmi Sandhana
>
>November 25, 2013
>
>A model of a high altitude aerial power plant that harvests both solar and
>wind energy and beams it wirelessly to the ground. (Image: New Wave Energy
>UK)
>
>Image Gallery (4 images)
>
>Harvesting power from the wind and the sun is nothing new. We've seen flying
>wind turbines and solar power plants that aim to provide clean renewable
>energy. UK-based New Wave Energy has a bolder idea in the works. The company
>plans to build the first high altitude aerial power plant, using networks of
>unmanned drones that can harvest energy from multiple sources and transmit it
>wirelessly to receiving stations on the ground.

It reads like a scam to me. I've never seen a feasible wind generator
design that isn't anchored to the ground, and AFAIK 50KW wireless power
transmission over miles has not been demonstrated, either.

-rex
--
"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the
journey that matters, in the end." - Ursula Le Guin