[ExI] Double-Earth (Was: kepler study says 8.8e9 earthlike planets)

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Nov 26 21:24:12 UTC 2013

As practical jokes go, having a planet with oceans that go critical is
pretty impressive.

On 26/11/2013 16:31, spike wrote:

> Here's something cool: the Pu alpha decays to 240Np, which is denser,
> so it sinks toward the center, but really doesn't have time to go far
> with that hour half-life to 240Pu, but then the concentration of 240Pu
> goes up and heats up, so I suppose it would boil, but under enormous
> pressure perhaps not, so it isn't clear if a critical mass eventually
> results.

It is worth considering the neutron reflectivity properties of the
original Pu too: it might act as a neutron mirror, in which case the
critical mass goes down. Hmm, those alpha particles might also mess
things up a bit. Not sure they have an effect, I need to check my
literature. Wikipedia mentions that alphas can incite fission in Pu240,
I have not yet checked out http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v144/i3/p1046_1

Hmm, if the Pu gets close to critical I assume there would be
mini-explosions or flare-ups that would be like mega-boiling: high
concentration zones have chain reactions, heat up a lot, turn to big
nuclear vapour bubbles and mix the ocean. You would only get a big
detonation if it all quietly congregated together and then something
eating the neutrons suddenly disappeared.

So maybe there would not be a big boom, just regular geysers of molten
metal and nuclear plasma. Still awesome.

> Hey I wonder if the feds are getting nervous watching me google around
> on plutonium and uranium?

It is when you start downloading neutron diffusion codes they get really
nervous...

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute