[ExI] FDA Tells Google-Backed 23andMe to Halt DNA Test Service

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Thu Nov 28 14:33:07 UTC 2013

Il 28/11/2013 09:25, Rafal Smigrodzki ha scritto:

> ### This is a very interesting perspective - 23andMe being involved in
> an extended, well-thought-out campaign against the FDA, rather than
> being caught like a deer in the juggernaut's headlights (sorry for the
> mixed idioms). On second thoughts, yes, of course, after all, 23andMe
> is Google, so forethought should be assumed.

Well, surely they have experience with legal battle with big legal
entities exploiting monopolies and government protections.
And I'm pretty sure they have some plan and scenarios about the future
course of events.

> As Spike points out, 23andMe might be the perfect test case, pitting
> informed, internet-empowered consumers against an immensely powerful
> but slow enemy. It certainly helps that the principals of the company
> involved are financially independent, depriving the FDA of one of
> their most potent weapons, the ability to destroy indirectly with
> bankruptcy rather than by prison sentences. With a lot of luck, the
> battle lines might be redrawn in our favor, the strangling onslaught
> may be slowed somewhat (but not reversed, only an unrealistic optimist
> could expect that), and who knows what the future might bring? - The
> abolition of the FDA? A cure for stupidity? One may dream.

If I was the FDA, I would think twice or more, before picking a fight
with Google. If Google is just a little to much pissed off they could
tweak their search engine and rank up everything bad about the Fed. Not
rank up a lot, just a little.
Then they have enough money to buy a lot of political support (and rank
down the politicians not supporting them, but just a little, and rank up
the politicians supporting them, but just a little.

Then they are able to move their business outside the US with ease, if
the FDA it is too much of a nuisance and keep going as nothing happened.

Mirco