[ExI] it was the best times, it was the best of times

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 01:23:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:

> I can read until I faint but what can I _make_ , on
> my own, with this knowledge? To make, I need decent kb, some cpu and
> enough mem to compile.

Careful with the programmer's hubris.  Not all - not even most - things
worth making, can be done entirely in software yet.

(That said, a general purpose laptop is more likely than a Kindle to be
able to be configured to, say, control a 3D printer or a drone.  But that's
not directly a result of memory, CPU, et cetera.)

> The real pauper is
> born into real paupers, I'm afraid, and then he goes to pauper school and
> chances are, there he is taught to, say, trade drugs (or trade
> himself/herself) and to "get reach or day traying".

Quite.  Opportunity is wonderful for those who realize there is opportunity
and they should reach for it.  That is not, and has never been so far as I
know, the attitude of the majority of the human race.  Hopefully that may
change in the future, as many more actually do have opportunity (if they'll
take it), but that is far from certain.