[ExI] it was the best times, it was the best of times

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Oct 7 08:44:08 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 03:32:28PM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:

> There is more free or virtually free stuff available now than at any time
> in human history. Certainly much of it is digital, but much of it is not.

This is correct, but I expect we've peaked on that as well, or will
do so shortly. Maybe any resident freegans can attest whether their
pickings have declined in quality/became more slim lately.

> The book "Free: How Today's Smartest Businesses Profit by Giving Something
> for Nothing" by Chris Anderson shows how many physical things can be free
> as well.

I've been in a silver/copper mine on Saturday, which has been mined
by humanity for 6000 years, leaving 500 km of tunnels up to 1 km depth.
Mining has ceased last century, as the richer ore veins have been
exhausted. You might notice that while the volume still appears
exponential http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Copper_-_world_production_trend.svg
the price isn't showing anything too nice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Copper_Price_History_USD.png

Silver is not any different
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Silver_-_world_production_trend.svg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Silver_price_in_USD.png

I'm skipping the same part with oil, we know that oil has not
becoming any cheaper lately.

> I have an idea for a way to give people free haircuts, and the business
> would be very profitable if it caught on. It basically involves trading
> your time watching advertisements for getting your hair cut. It's just one
> way to show how you can make the economy go without collecting money from
> the people getting the service (or good).

How about free energy or free food, in the long run?

> A rising tide lifts everyone.

This assumes two things: that the tide is still rising, and that
some boats are not sinking. None of these assumptions hold water
on a closer look. Blub.