[ExI] it was the best times, it was the best of times

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 02:54:01 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 10:38 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>wrote:

> One of the uncomfortable facts I don't like to consider is that the
> whole industrial complex upon which humans produce computers is
> remarkably complex and fragile. It seems unlike to survive a serious
> upset.
>
> And then what?

Makes me think of Falken's 'life lesson' regarding the demise of the
dinosaurs in Wargames.

How did we get to where we are now?  We have everything as it is as proof
what more-primitive people are capable of achieving.  I guess the sentiment
you are expressing is whether or not our less-primitive selves would have
any hope of re-asserting the status quo if it were taken away.  How far
would civilization have to fall if modern wizards and their magic were
suddenly absent from the world?

I feel like it would be pretty far.

What might survive?