[ExI] New way to enumerate prime number

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 11:53:59 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> On 2013-10-08 07:18, Giulio Prisco wrote:
>
>> WOW - is this new?
>>

> I have never seen it before.
>
> However, I think this is a restatement of the sieve of Eratosthenes:  look
> at the third colum: it is going 0101010, allowing only odd numbers after 2
> to be prime. The fourth goes 0110110110, allowing only numbers not
> divisible by 3. And so on.

Good point.  This graphical process could also model a growth pattern of a
physical system.[1]  Seeing those streams of close-distance "1" makes me
think of networks (or a default topology on which to build a network
according to another iterative process [2])

[1] DNA Origami / DNA Folding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhGG__boRxU
(I hope every person capable of understanding this video would have already
seen it)

[2] Ophanogenesis chapter of Greg Egan's Diaspora
http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/DIASPORA/01/Orphanogenesis.html

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think there is at least one person on this list with an interest in
>>> primes.  I have never seen anything like this that I know of.
>>>
>>>    http://www.skycoyote.com/**Tableau <http://www.skycoyote.com/Tableau>

At least one, but it seems there are more :)  Thanks for posting.