[ExI] does a us default take down the internet? was: RE: New way to enumerate prime number

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Oct 8 12:47:49 UTC 2013

... On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
Subject: Re: [ExI] New way to enumerate prime number

--
Dr Anders Sandberg

It's tough living in California.  You find out everything several hours
later than those living in Europe.  I propose we move the international date
line.  Anders is right on this and got there first.  He probably would have
answered it first in any case for  I already knew that he is a late
up-stayer.

It used to be a few hours delay didn't mean much, but times have changed.
Now in terms of cool discoveries, hours have become years.  I understand
there is a new undersea cable that will shave a few milliseconds off the
communication latency between Tokyo and London, which the currency traders
need.  With software trading in place, a few milliseconds is the difference
between a few billion dollar payday and bankruptcy.

So all this talk of the US defaulting on its debts raises a question I don't
see being answered anywhere.  If the US government shuts down for real, does
that take down the internet?