[ExI] Euthanasia

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 14:54:52 UTC 2013

> >> fixing brains has the same problem. In reality, you will need to
>> proceed more or less like for cryosuspension: wait until the patient is
>> declared dead, and then start biostasis protocols.
>>

> > There might be a loophole: euthanasia is legal in some jurisdictions.
> Eliminating peri-arrest damage appears to be crucial for optimal perfusion.

Obviously legal euthanasia would be a very desirable thing, and not just
because it leads to better perfusion; but unfortunately the same political
party that says it wants to get government off your back is also willing,
as can be seen in the Terri Schiavo fiasco, to call for a emergency session
of congress to make sure government retains its power to prevent you from
doing what you want with your body. To my mind making someone live who
wants to die is as immoral as murder, making someone die who wants to live.
But at least that party can sometimes cause congress to act quickly and
decisively, even if it is quickly and decisively stupid.

Speaking of stupid, that same political party has also come to think that
not paying your bills will calm down your creditors. And the really amazing
thing is that, although I'm embarrassed to admit it, I am a member of that
very same political party. I think a few years ago that party must have
suffered a stroke that resulted in massive brain damage, and so now I am
ashamed to belong to the party of Lincoln.

  John K Clark