[ExI] Smallest human-equivalent device

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Oct 11 03:46:04 UTC 2013

>... On Behalf Of Rafal Smigrodzki

### I am surprised that the estimate is so, well, bulky. 1 liter volume is
very close to actual human brain volume and I simply don't believe our brain
is anywhere near the limits of miniaturization...Rafal

In all these kinds of calculations we are locked into a paradigm that was
handed to us by evolution: brains exist as individual units.  We need to
think of ways in which silicon based intelligence can work together in teams
far more effectively than we carbon units can ever do.  We have all this
evolutionary baggage we just cannot seem to shed.  But silicon intelligence
evolved along a different path.  For this reason we have reason to hope that
a human brain equivalent might be made up of a few thousand units of a cubic
millimeter each.  This approach allows a large surface area to volume ratio,
for heat rejection, as well as flexibility unavailable to us meat brains.

Like the ants and bees, perhaps we can create individual units which are
stupid, but together they could do some really smart stuff.